Re: jigdo error

On 2/16/2020 5:37 PM, john doe wrote:
> On 2/15/2020 10:37 PM, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>> Hi John,
>>
>> kaufmann@nb.net wrote:
>>> When my last Thinkpad died, I lost my Mint/Xfce. My new Thinkpad, of course, comes with
>>> Windows 10, and I want to move on to Debian. As a Debian newbie, I'm also new to jigdo,
>>> but want to use it because it seems the preferred way to download (and anyway I want the
>>> full Debian experience).
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, running jidgo-lite on Windows is a minor pain (because Windows no longer
>>> provides a context menu option to open-command-window-in-this-folder), but even after
>>> going through the rigamarole to run it, jigdo bails out with error message,

>>> Could someone help me interpret and fix that? - or should I just drop jigdo and look for
>>> a regular download of a live CD?
>>
>> Other people have already pointed you at other options, but if you're
>> happy to help then I'd like to try and work out what's gone wrong here
>> with jigdo. I'm the maintainer. after all... :-)
>>
>> Which version of jigdo are you using, please?
>>

> Sorry to jump in, in the zip file (1) the provided wget does not support
> 'https'.
>
> So for example, this URL will work when  entered in the batch file:
>
> http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/jigdo-cd/debian-10.3.0-amd64-netinst.jigdo
>
> but this one will not:
>
> https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/jigdo-cd/debian-10.3.0-amd64-netinst.jigdo
>

> The error in question is:
>
> "Downloading .jigdo file
> https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/jigdo-cd/debian-10.3.0-amd64-
> netinst.jigdo: Unsupported scheme.
> File `debian-10.3.0-amd64-netinst.jigdo' does not exist!"
>

> Other then that, it works like a charm on Windows 7.
>

> At the end of the process:
>
> "OK: MD5 Checksums match, image is good!
> WARNING: MD5 is not considered a secure hash!
> WARNING: It is recommended to verify your image in other ways too!"
>
> What are those other ways (2)?
>

> To: "John Kaufmann <kaufmann@nb.net>":
>
> Were you using the *.bat file found in the zip archive from (1)?
>

> Note that this e-mail is folded by my mailer.
>
> 1)
> https://www.einval.com/~steve/software/jigdo/download/jigdo-win-0.8.0.zip
> 2)  https://www.debian.org/CD/verify

Following my example above and after having recreated the iso file:

Insure that you are into the directory where the 'iso', 'jigdo'  and
'template' files are located.

Download the files:

$ wget
https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/jigdo-cd/SHA512SUMS.sign
https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/jigdo-cd/SHA512SUMS

Verify the files:

$ gpg --auto-key-retrieve verify SHA512SUMS.sig SHA512SUMS
gpg: key DA87E80D6294BE9B: public key "Debian CD signing key
<debian-cd@lists.debian.org>" imported
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:               imported: 1
gpg: Good signature from "Debian CD signing key
<debian-cd@lists.debian.org>" [unknown]
gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to the
owner.
Primary key fingerprint: DF9B 9C49 EAA9 2984 3258  9D76 DA87 E80D 6294 BE9B

Checksum the files:

$ sha512sum -c SHA512SUMS --ignore-missing
debian-10.3.0-amd64-netinst.iso: OK
debian-10.3.0-amd64-netinst.jigdo: OK
debian-10.3.0-amd64-netinst.template: OK

It would be nice if 'sha512sum' and 'gpg' could be included as
executable in the zip archive.
So this step could also be done as part of the process.

For now 'Cygwin' and 'GPGforWin' is one option.

--
John Doe