Re: jigdo error

On 2/15/2020 10:37 PM, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> kaufmann@nb.net wrote:
>> When my last Thinkpad died, I lost my Mint/Xfce. My new Thinkpad, of course, comes with
>> Windows 10, and I want to move on to Debian. As a Debian newbie, I'm also new to jigdo,
>> but want to use it because it seems the preferred way to download (and anyway I want the
>> full Debian experience).
>>
>> Unfortunately, running jidgo-lite on Windows is a minor pain (because Windows no longer
>> provides a context menu option to open-command-window-in-this-folder), but even after
>> going through the rigamarole to run it, jigdo bails out with error message,
>>
>>> "child 1124(0x1F0) died before initialization with status code 0xC0000142"
>>
>> Could someone help me interpret and fix that? - or should I just drop jigdo and look for
>> a regular download of a live CD?
>
> Other people have already pointed you at other options, but if you're
> happy to help then I'd like to try and work out what's gone wrong here
> with jigdo. I'm the maintainer. after all... :-)
>
> Which version of jigdo are you using, please?

Sorry to jump in, in the zip file (1) the provided wget does not support
'https'.

So for example, this URL will work when  entered in the batch file:

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/jigdo-cd/debian-10.3.0-amd64-netinst.jigdo

but this one will not:

https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/jigdo-cd/debian-10.3.0-amd64-netinst.jigdo

The error in question is:

"Downloading .jigdo file
https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/jigdo-cd/debian-10.3.0-amd64-
netinst.jigdo: Unsupported scheme.
File `debian-10.3.0-amd64-netinst.jigdo' does not exist!"

Other then that, it works like a charm on Windows 7.

At the end of the process:

"OK: MD5 Checksums match, image is good!
WARNING: MD5 is not considered a secure hash!
WARNING: It is recommended to verify your image in other ways too!"

What are those other ways (2)?

To: "John Kaufmann <kaufmann@nb.net>":

Were you using the *.bat file found in the zip archive from (1)?

Note that this e-mail is folded by my mailer.

1)
https://www.einval.com/~steve/software/jigdo/download/jigdo-win-0.8.0.zip
2)  https://www.debian.org/CD/verify

--