Re: Ethernet trouble

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 09:15:31AM -0500, Greg Wooledge wrote:

[...]

> The enp7s0 style naming is the new "Predictable Network Interface Names"
> scheme.  That is its official name.  It is not, however, an accurate
> description of how it works in reality.  As you've seen, the names
> are NOT predictable.

Yeah. Alas. It didn't work out as expected :-/

> Prior to buster, the "Predictable" scheme was optional [...]

> In buster, however, udev's 70-persistent-net.rules is no longer supported.
> It *might* work, or it might not.

I have, in buster,

  GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet net.ifnames=0"

in /etc/default/grub. My interfaces are still eth0 and wlan0. As far
as I know it's some udev &$%*@#ggery renaming the interfaces -- the
kernel itself chooses the (also unpredictable, mind you) old style
names first.

Whatever.

Cheers
-- tomás