Re: Ethernet trouble

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 04:34:15PM -0700, ghe wrote:
> Buster, SuperMicro box
>
> The labels for my Ethernet ports have changed.
>
> There are 2 ports on this box. They used to be called enp6s0 and enp7s0.
> Now they're called enp7s0 and enp8s0 (6, 7, and 8).

Did you perform a BIOS/Firmware upgrade on your motherboard?  That's
one of the things that can cause this.

> Everything seems to work as 7 and 8. But this morning, it was 6 and 7.
> My shell scripts are all broken now and I'm afraid that next week, after
> I change all my scripts, something will change things back. Or increment
> them again.

If you can confirm that it was caused by (or at least, occurred after)
a firmware upgrade, then at least you'll know that you need to be ready
for another possible change the next time you upgrade firmware.

The enp7s0 style naming is the new "Predictable Network Interface Names"
scheme.  That is its official name.  It is not, however, an accurate
description of how it works in reality.  As you've seen, the names
are NOT predictable.

Prior to buster, the "Predictable" scheme was optional.  You were allowed
to opt out of it by using the /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
configuration file.  If you had one of these from an earlier release,
and upgraded to stretch, it would continue to work, and you wouldn't
even notice any changes.

In buster, however, udev's 70-persistent-net.rules is no longer supported.
It *might* work, or it might not.

The new workaround to replace udev involves setting up a "dot link"
file for each interface.  You can do lots of different things, but the
one that most people will actually care about is mapping a MAC address
to a name of your choice.  E.g. you can decide to map MAC address
01:23:45:67:89:ab to interface name "dmz0", or whatever makes sense
for your networks.

Please see:

https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkInterfaceNames#CUSTOM_SCHEMES_USING_.LINK_FILES
https://wiki.debian.org/NewInBuster#Network_interface_name_migration