Re: How to set Gedit left margin to 80 characters

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020, 12:18 Curt <curty@free.fr> wrote:
On 2020-01-28, Default User <hunguponcontent@gmail.com> wrote:

> Okay, I'm stumped.
>
> I'm running 64-bit Debian unstable, Cinnamon desktop environment.
>
> All I want to do is set the Gedit left margin to 80 characters, so that
> text hard-wraps (or at least soft-wraps) at that point.

Don't you mean "right" instead of "left"? Or are you composing in
Hebrew?

> Currently, with the word-wrap setting in Gedit selected, and a visual
> representation of a margin showing at column 80, text will sail right on by
> the bogus margin at 80 characters, not wrapping until it reaches the left
> edge of the display.

A hands-on experimental session with Gedit has not revealed to this
correspondent the way forward here.

> After doing some research, it seems that it may not even be possible in
> Gedit to set a real, functional left margin to 80 characters.

All I could find was this:

https://ssplab.wordpress.com/2012/06/08/hard-word-wrapping-in-gedit/

> What?

Dumbfounding.

> Well, can it be done?

Hoop, meet jumper.

> And if not, (rhetorical question) why not?

Rhetorical. Gotcha.

--
"J'ai pour me guérir du jugement des autres toute la distance qui me sépare de
moi." Antonin Artaud

Gene, thank you for your review of Gedit, and your mention of Geany - it looks interesting (although it too seems to lack the margin setting capability).

Curt, yes I really did mean right margin, not left. I never could tell my right from my left. Thank you for the link you provided. That too looks interesting. I will try it tomorrow.

BTW, there is LibreOffice Writer, which does have the margin setting capability, but is really overkill for many (most?) uses.

And of course there is Emacs, which can do anything. Which I have been meaning to learn, as soon as I win the lottery and thus have nothing else to do for the next 10 years.  The lottery money will also be needed to pay for medical care for the resultant carpal tunnel syndrome.