Re: Emacs and loss of highlighting: problem semi-solved (Buster MATE)

* On 2020 26 Jan 20:14 -0600, Tom Browder wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 25, 2020 at 6:01 AM Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us> wrote:
> > What do you get if there is no ~/.emacs or ~/.emacs.d/init.el file?
>
> Still no highlighting without the xrdb incantation.

Sorry, I've never had to do anything like that, so I'm of no further
help.  :(

> > Are you using the Emacs GTK GUI or running in a terminal?
>
> I'm using:
>
> emacs-gtk - GNU Emacs editor (with GTK+ GUI support)

My Gnome menu on Buster, which I have not changed, shows the following
for Emacs commands:

Emacs (Terminal)
/usr/bin/emacs -nw %F

and:

Emacs (GUI)
/usr/bin/emacs %F

I presume the '%F' is the GUI's way of passing a file list to emacs.

I decided to chase 'emacs' in the terminal.  Tab completion shows:

$ emacs
emacs              emacsclient        emacsclient.emacs  emacs-gtk

Checking 'emacs' further I see that it is a symlink:

$ ls -l `which emacs-gtk`
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 39926024 Sep  4 21:35 /usr/bin/emacs-gtk*
$ ls -l `which emacs`
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 Oct 14  2018 /usr/bin/emacs -> /etc/alternatives/emacs*
$ ll /etc/alternatives/emacs
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 Oct 14  2018 /etc/alternatives/emacs -> /usr/bin/emacs-gtk*

I see that the GUI doesn't call 'emacs-gtk' directly.  I'm not sure if
that makes any difference with emacs, but it sometimes does as certain
programs will check the name they were called by and change behavior
accordingly.  I don't know if emacs does this check or not.

You might try running 'emacs -nw -q' in a terminal which will cause it
to run in the terminal with a basic set of colors.  After that, I would
start looking for and removing any Gtk configuration file (~/.gtk*) or
themes out of the way.  It might be picking up a Gtk theme that is
causing your issue, though I think setting the colors for the editor
frame as in my example does override any Gtk theme.

> > anti-aliased fonts were well supported), I have configured Emacs the
> > same in my ~/.emacs.d/init.al file:
> >
> > (custom-set-faces
>
> Thanks, but I like a white os very light background.

I find that as I age that dark backgrounds lead to far less eye strain.
Unfortunately, trying to force the Web into dark backgrounds doesn't
work well so I don't bother with forcing the browsers into dark
backgrounds.  All my terminals and editors are setup with a dark
background.  I used to like them light, like you, but longish coding
sessions showed me the value of light text on a dark background.

Hopefully you'll get some ideas.  Have you posted any screenshots that I
missed?

- Nate

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB