Re: Debian on server

Alessandro Baggi writes:

Il 21/01/20 18:30, Linux-Fan ha scritto:

[...]

Just one more (minor) point to add: Consider the hardware compatibility.
Most server vendors explicitly support RHEL which makes it very likely that
CentOS runs just as well. This might not be so important initially, but
whenever some special server hardware or software is needed, it can be
helpful to run a system as close to certified/officially compatible as
possible. Considering your use cases, the "glusterfs and some linux-ha"
stuff might e.g. benefit from 25G network adapters and I do not know how
well they run on Debian, maybe there are some server experts who can share
some light on this :)

If you want the same system on a workstation as on the server, this would be
a good point for Debian from my point of view: Debian provides an incredibly
versatile selection of packages which will essentially mean that in
comparison to CentOS you will only need to compile things yourself rarely.

HTH
Linux-Fan

Hi,
repository size is not a problem for me. I came from slackware and have no
problem compiling/packaging software that I need. I created some rpm
packages and I don't think that deb packages are so much difficult.
I noticed that generally I use always the same software. My main tool is the
CLI.

OK. For me, it is not only about the compiling itself but also about keeping
the self-compiled software up to date. YMMV of course :)

About hardware certification, yes this could be a centos advantage. If I
don't remember wrongly in the past HP had a list of supported server on
debian but if today I will try to check OS/distro compatility I found only
RH and Ubuntu.
At this point, considering that ubuntu came from Debian, I suppose that also
Debian can run on the server when ubuntu is listed or I'm wrong?

Ubuntu came from Debian, but it is using different kernel versions and IIUC
also automatically installs non-free stuff such as e.g. graphics drivers.
Hence, in terms of hardware support, there is usually a notable difference
especially with regard to those things that "just work".

I think "running" is OK in any case. Problems can arise, when it comes to
more: network cards (1G has always worked out-of-the-box here), RAID
controllers, HW diagnostics functions etc. I once tried to get HP's software
running on an old server (HP DL380 G4 if it matters) and it was quite
difficult on Debian although there were some old .deb packages available...
a "supported" operating system migt have simplified matters in the situation.

HTH
Linux-Fan