Re: Debian on server

Andy Smith writes:

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 03:41:13PM +0100, Alessandro Baggi wrote:
> So, I know this is a debian list and could be obtain biased opinion but
> what are better point to use debian on a server instead of CentOS?

Really I think you are best off using whichever one you have the
most experience with - unless you're looking for a learning
experience anyway.

Debian has far more packages in its repositories than CentOS does,
even if you add the unofficial ELRepo.

CentOS has a longer support lifetime than Debian, though in practice
I find that some other combination of required software (or desired
new features of required software) will force an upgrade before the
strict end of life of a given CentOS release.

[...]

Hello,

this quoted text above is really the summary of the most important things,
thank you Andy!
I'd even go as far as saying that they are in descending order of importance
(experience most important, then packages, then support lifetime).

Just one more (minor) point to add: Consider the hardware compatibility.
Most server vendors explicitly support RHEL which makes it very likely that
CentOS runs just as well. This might not be so important initially, but
whenever some special server hardware or software is needed, it can be
helpful to run a system as close to certified/officially compatible as
possible. Considering your use cases, the "glusterfs and some linux-ha"
stuff might e.g. benefit from 25G network adapters and I do not know how
well they run on Debian, maybe there are some server experts who can share
some light on this :)

If you want the same system on a workstation as on the server, this would be
a good point for Debian from my point of view: Debian provides an incredibly
versatile selection of packages which will essentially mean that in
comparison to CentOS you will only need to compile things yourself rarely.

HTH
Linux-Fan