Re: Use system drive, in another system

On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 4:48 AM Georgi Naplatanov <gosho@oles.biz> wrote:
On 1/20/20 9:50 AM, Esteban L wrote:
> I have Debian installed on a computer which functions as my server
> (email, webhost, smb, etc)..
>
> I want to upgrade the hardware, but don't necessary want to setup all
> the systems again.
>
> I think Docker would be good for this -- will set that up in the future. =)
>
> But, for a quicky solution, I was wonder if I could just drop the hard
> drive into another case (new board, processor, ram, etc...), and it
> would still work??

A variation of this is, actually fairly common:  Install Debian (or other Distro) on a USB Stick, and then move that Stick to another System.  It's like a Hard Drive.

Now, what has caused me trouble here, are the Devices, such as Network Adapters, Sound Cards, and Graphics, to name three.

> I have never tried it, that's why I am asking. =)
>
> I have Debian 9 installed.

The issues I encountered, occurred with other Distributions also.

> Also, would there be any dangers in trying?

How important is it, that this work?

If computer architectures are the same on the old server and new (e.g.
AMD64) then all stuff should work.

Not necessarily.

Good luck!

Kenneth Parker