Re: Use system drive, in another system

On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 08:50:07AM +0100, Esteban L wrote:
> I have Debian installed on a computer which functions as my server
> (email, webhost, smb, etc)..
>
> I want to upgrade the hardware, but don't necessary want to setup all
> the systems again.
>
> I think Docker would be good for this -- will set that up in the future. =)

Not necessarily. Perhaps it's not worth the effort.

> But, for a quicky solution, I was wonder if I could just drop the hard
> drive into another case (new board, processor, ram, etc...), and it
> would still work??

Possibly, possibly not. Imagine you've installed for an i386 architecture,
the kernel is (one of the last ;) i386 and your new machine is PowerPC.

This won't work.

On the other extreme, your old and new CPUs are both X86_64, just different
generations: most probably, you'll have the right kernel just in place.

There are several in-betweens, like you got your network hardware to
run by installing the right firmware, but the new network hardware is
different.

Definitely worth a try. Just insert the hard drive and try, but expect
"some turbulences" on your way.

If it doesn't boot, a good choice is always to insert a stick/CD with
install media [1] and fire up a "rescue" system: you get a minimal Debian
(as with the installer) which tries to recognize the file systems
out there: you'll most probably find everything in place.

From there you can proceed to install your new kernel and drivers as
needed.

And, oh. Make sure you have good backups! (at least if your data are
important to you, that is).

Cheers

[1] aka "install CD"

-- tomás