Re: Use system drive, in another system

On Mon, 20 Jan 2020 22:19:37 +0200
Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Lu, 20 ian 20, 08:50:07, Esteban L wrote:
> > I have Debian installed on a computer which functions as my server
> > (email, webhost, smb, etc)..
> >
> > I want to upgrade the hardware, but don't necessary want to setup all
> > the systems again.
> >
> > I think Docker would be good for this -- will set that up in the future. =)
>
> How should Docker help with this?
>
> > But, for a quicky solution, I was wonder if I could just drop the hard
> > drive into another case (new board, processor, ram, etc...), and it
> > would still work??
>
> One thing that you need to prepare for is the change of network
> interface name. Regardless of the naming scheme in use it will very
> likely change.

Didn't in my case.  Ethernet and USB wireless dongle kept the same
names in the new box as the old one. I used original hard drive from
the old box in the new one. Booted right up. Wirelss worked, too. That
surprised me. Didn't have to do anything. I was up and running in 60
seconds!

Didn't test onboard Ethernet though. It's disabled.  As it's impractical
to connect it due to the locations of the box and the router.