Re: Use system drive, in another system

On Mon, 20 Jan 2020 08:50:07 +0100
Esteban L <esteban@little-beak.com> wrote:

> I have Debian installed on a computer which functions as my server
> (email, webhost, smb, etc)..
>
> I want to upgrade the hardware, but don't necessary want to setup all
> the systems again.

I did that yesterday with a new build Ryzen 5 1600 system.  Took the MBR
hard drive out of my 13 year old, nonuefi, MBR only system which had
been upgraded numerous times over those years[1], and plugged it into
the new system. Booted right up.  No problems. However, I did check
that new MB was set for no Secureboot, no Fastboot, Legacy mode, which
by default it was.

> I think Docker would be good for this -- will set that up in the future. =)

My old system was window manager only, Openbox, and a single LX
panel.  No desktop or login manager. Boots to terminal, then login and
startx.

> But, for a quicky solution, I was wonder if I could just drop the hard
> drive into another case (new board, processor, ram, etc...), and it
> would still work??

I've done this numerious times over the past 20 years since I switched
to Linux from the Amiga.  Very rarely was there a problem not even when
one system was Intel-based and the other AMD.

> I have never tried it, that's why I am asking. =)
>
> I have Debian 9 installed.

Me, too.  Even Windows XP running in Virtualbox worked on the new
system.

> Also, would there be any dangers in trying?

I doubt it.  I've had failures, but nothing was damaged or corrupted.
System either would not boot or would, but X failed, but terminal
always worked.

[1] MSI and ASRock MBs, Athlon64 single and dual core, Phenom
Quad-core CPUs; 3 or 4 graphic cards, 3 DDR2 RAM upgrades from 2 to 8
GB, 2 system hard drives, 3 keyboards and 3 mouses all PS/2, 3 monitors.