Re: Use system drive, in another system

On 1/20/20, Felix Miata <mrmazda@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Esteban L composed on 2020-01-20 08:50 (UTC+0100):
>

>> But, for a quicky solution, I was wonder if I could just drop the hard
>> drive into another case (new board, processor, ram, etc...), and it
>> would still work??
>
>> I have never tried it, that's why I am asking. =)
>
> I've done it rather often, simply taking a HD out of one PC and putting it
> in
> another, though I mostly stick with Intel's CPUs and chipsets. One routine
> change
> such an operation usually dictates has to do with a change in MAC address,
> fixed
> IP, and unique hostname, all at most trivial adjustments to make.

I've done it, too, multiple times over. The latest experience was
impressive *to me*. I debootstrap, super basic, minimal programs that
a casual blogger/perennially amateur photographer might use..

There was a smudge on the screen so I reached out and wiped it off.
Ended up messing up something in my Thunar file manager because
TOUCHSCREEN worked.

It was a pleasant surprise that I could install a minimal Debian
instance on my beatup old ASUS, move that install over to a Dell
Inspiron Duo without tweaking anything.. and that touchscreen feature,
that method of User input, worked like that without intervention.

That's nice to know because maybe someone installs and something
glitches and.. touchscreen is their only way to finish out whatever
happen. Who knows... it could happen. :)

CHOICE! OPTIONS! VARIETY! #ThankYou yet again, Debian Developers AND
Maintainers!

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey