Re: Graphical indicators for Caps Lock and similar keys

On 1/18/20 1:19 PM, Tom Browder wrote:
On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 8:55 PM Jape Person <japers@comcast.net> wrote:

I don't know whether or not gkrellm-leds would work for you. Last time I tried it I found it to look
at little out of place on my Xfce4 desktop, but it did perform some of the functions you're looking
for. (I don't think it had an insert indicator, but my memory could be wonky.)

I installed the package but didn't see any changes. And I saw no easy
way to affect my panels. As a result, I removed that package and
installed the 'mate-tweak' package, as suggested by Curt, and that
does work, at least for the Caps and Num lock keys.

I would like to try your suggestion if you can tell me how to actually
implement it--I am no longer familiar with the text settings for
desktop tweaks, but I am comfortable with such changes with clear
instructions.

-Tom

To get to the configuration dialog you have to right-click on the frame of the application and choose Configure. (You can also get the dialog by placing the mouse over the gkrellm application and hitting the F1 key.

Reading the man pages will give you and overview of functionality, and digging into the configuration user interface will let you set it up to suit you.

If you just install gkrellm-leds it will pull in a couple of other packages (gkrellm and libgnutls-openssl27). when you start it you'll see a lot of stuff that you probably don't want. You have to go into configuration and turn off each of the displays that you don't want. If you want gkrellm to show only the LEDs, this is quite a bit of work to get just that. But it does work.

It would require several pages of e-mail to explain the process, but it's obvious enough if you dig into the Configuration dialog pages and tabs for each item.

JP