Re: [apt-pinning] always install given package and its deps from unstable

On Jo, 16 ian 20, 08:22:53, The Wanderer wrote:
> On 2020-01-16 at 04:38, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> >
> > This should work with the same technique used for backports: pin
> > unstable to priority 100 (the same priority as installed packages).
> >
> > New packages must be installed with '-t sid', already installed packages
> > will be upgraded as needed.
>
> What will then happen if a new version of firefox grows a dependency on
> a new package, which is only available (at suitable version, anyway) in
> sid?
>
> The "and its deps" criterion is what makes this tricky, I think.

Well, 'apt upgrade' is not allowed to install new packages anyway, so it
will just not upgrade the package and will inform the user ("packages
have been held back").

One should then be able to fix it with 'apt install -t sid PACKAGE',
which is allowed to pull in dependencies, from the other suite if
necessary.

Not sure what happens on 'apt full-upgrade' though.

My recommendation (for any kind of system) would be to use it only as a
last resort and carefully examine what it is about to do. aptitude's
-v/--verbose is very useful in such cases, because it also shows package
versions.

Kind regards,
Andrei