Re: [apt-pinning] always install given package and its deps from unstable

On 2020-01-16 at 04:38, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Mi, 15 ian 20, 12:12:53, Samuel Henrique wrote:
>
>> Hello people,
>>
>> These days I'm wondering what's the correct approach to have the
>> following behaviour:
>>
>> * Using Testing
>> * Always install firefox (or some other packages) and its deps from the
>> unstable repository
>> * Keep downloading upgrades of these packages from unstable
>> * Don't install anything else from unstable unless the I'm using "apt -t
>> sid install"
>
> This should work with the same technique used for backports: pin
> unstable to priority 100 (the same priority as installed packages).
>
> New packages must be installed with '-t sid', already installed packages
> will be upgraded as needed.

What will then happen if a new version of firefox grows a dependency on
a new package, which is only available (at suitable version, anyway) in
sid?

The "and its deps" criterion is what makes this tricky, I think.

> Disclaimer: mixing packages from different releases is inherently
> dangerous. If above breaks you get to keep all pieces.

Yeah, that's why I don't just test this to find out so that I can answer
my own question; I don't currently have a machine I'm willing to risk.
I've gotten one machine into a state which, if not necessarily unfixable
without a reinstall, was still more trouble to try to fix than I wanted
to, by tracking testing + sid; nowadays I track stable + testing
instead.

--
   The Wanderer