Re: MUA CLI IMAP and SMTP without ncurses interface

Quoting john doe (2020-01-06 07:54:44)
> On 1/4/2020 6:12 PM, Steve Kemp wrote:
> >> As far as I can tell, Mutt uses the ncurses interface
> >
> >   Yes.
> >
> >> Can I use Mutt without ncurses?
> >
> >   No.
> >
> >> If no, is my only alternative Sup/Notmuch?
> >
> >   https://aerc-mail.org/ is new, and golang-based.  No ncurses.
> >
> >   Though it has to be said it seems like an odd-requirement,
> >  is there a specific reason to avoid ncurses?
> >
> >> If I use Sup or Notmuch I also need to configure IMAP and SMTP access,
> >> is there a MUA which does IMAP SMTP that does not rely on ncurses?
> >
> >   On that I have no idea; I wrote a console-based mail-client,
> >  inspired by mutt but using Lua for UI/scripting, but I just
> >  exec "/usr/sbin/sendmail .." for outgoing mail, and that's a
> >  pretty common approach.   <https://github.com/lumail/lumail/>
> >

> Yes there is, I connect to a VM using SSH and my Windows screenreader
> does not like curses interface and maybe .other interface(s) as well
>
> Regarding Alpine/re-alpine, it is somewhat better accessible then Mutt
> but far from usable at first glance.
>
> Regarding gnus, is only for emax, if I'm not mistaking and I'm a vim
> user! :)
>
> Regarding "mail", I'll look into that, thanks tomas@tuxteam.de.
>
> My goal in all of this is to move away from Enigmail/Thunderbird for the
> following reasons:
> - Thunderbird moving from enigmail to use his own GPG implementation
> - Using GPG with multiple signing subkies
>

> Sendmail/msmtp could do what I want, I'll look into that.
>
> Thanks to Jonathan Dowland <jon@dow.land> for Mutt and 'slang'.
>
> Thanks to Reco <recoverym4n@enotuniq.net> for his input.
>

> Thanks to anyone else for their input.

I appreciate this thread - for me Steve's lumail was new info worth a
closer look!

I currently use "afew" - a notmuch frontend ising Urwid to draw.

On my laptops I use interimap - a more efficient alternative to
offlineimap (only available in unstable and testing currently).

As MTA I use msmtp on laptops, and postfix, dovecot-imap, dovecot-sieve
and spamassassin on reliably connected hosts.

Enjoy the many options :-)

 - Jonas