Re: MUA CLI IMAP and SMTP without ncurses interface

On 1/4/2020 6:12 PM, Steve Kemp wrote:
>> As far as I can tell, Mutt uses the ncurses interface
>
>   Yes.
>
>> Can I use Mutt without ncurses?
>
>   No.
>
>> If no, is my only alternative Sup/Notmuch?
>
>   https://aerc-mail.org/ is new, and golang-based.  No ncurses.
>
>   Though it has to be said it seems like an odd-requirement,
>  is there a specific reason to avoid ncurses?
>
>> If I use Sup or Notmuch I also need to configure IMAP and SMTP access,
>> is there a MUA which does IMAP SMTP that does not rely on ncurses?
>
>   On that I have no idea; I wrote a console-based mail-client,
>  inspired by mutt but using Lua for UI/scripting, but I just
>  exec "/usr/sbin/sendmail .." for outgoing mail, and that's a
>  pretty common approach.   <https://github.com/lumail/lumail/>

Yes there is, I connect to a VM using SSH and my Windows screenreader
does not like curses interface and maybe .other interface(s) as well

Regarding Alpine/re-alpine, it is somewhat better accessible then Mutt
but far from usable at first glance.

Regarding gnus, is only for emax, if I'm not mistaking and I'm a vim
user! :)

Regarding "mail", I'll look into that, thanks tomas@tuxteam.de.

My goal in all of this is to move away from Enigmail/Thunderbird for the
following reasons:
- Thunderbird moving from enigmail to use his own GPG implementation
- Using GPG with multiple signing subkies

Sendmail/msmtp could do what I want, I'll look into that.

Thanks to Jonathan Dowland <jon@dow.land> for Mutt and 'slang'.

Thanks to Reco <recoverym4n@enotuniq.net> for his input.

Thanks to anyone else for their input.

--