Re: Difference between ipp, ipps, http, https CUPS protocols?

On Tuesday 12 November 2019 10:15:33 David Wright wrote:

> On Tue 12 Nov 2019 at 09:26:03 (-0500), Gene Heskett wrote:
> > >
> > > Forget this. This message is hours away from your real issue.
> > >
> > > Most proably caused by a "Listen [v1.::1]:631" entry in
> > > /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
> >
> > is
> > Listen localhost:631
>
> And a conventional installation would show:
>
> $ grep localhost /etc/hosts
> 127.0.0.1  localhost
>
> ::1        localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
>
> $
>
> but has that been nuked?

Yes, no trace of ipv6 stuff. its all been commented out:
127.0.0.1       localhost
192.168.71.1    router.coyote.den               router
192.168.71.3    coyote.coyote.den               coyote
192.168.71.4    shop.coyote.den                 shop
192.168.71.5    lathe.coyote.den                lathe
192.168.71.6    lappy.coyote.den                lappy
192.168.71.7    vna.coyote.den                  vna
192.168.71.10   GO704.coyote.den                GO704
192.168.71.2    rock64.coyote.den               rock64
192.168.71.12   picnc.coyote.den                picnc
192.168.71.13   rpi4.coyote.den                 rpi4
192.168.71.21   scanner.coyote.den              scanner
192.168.71.30   redpitaya.coyote.den            red
#::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
#ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
#ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
# the following may be dns blacklisted,due to a lawsuit, so
31.184.194.81 Sci-Hub

> Cheers,
> David.

If cups is looking for ipv6 stuff, I don't intend to allow it to find it.
Any time an ipv6 capability is found, route flat refuses to use a legal
ipv4 address and I cannot get off the property.  This bit of having ipv6
everwhere, when the nearest ipv6 connectivity is 100 + mile away is the
biggest pain in the ass ever about doing a modern os install.  It took
me  wholesale removal of avahi-* and dhcphd to get a working network
when I install stretch on anything because with them installed, route
insisted my gateway was the 169 shit ahahi assigned.  Avahi is, in my
opinion, a plant from microsoft to screw up linux. Get rid of it with
prejudice.

I have one buster 10.1 install, from raspbian, and knowing what it took
to get networking, to just work, that stuff got removed from its sd card
boot image before it was plugged in and booted the first time, and it
all Just Works.

But thats not fixing my cups install. So lets do that. Its seems obvious
I've a perms problem but where is it? To repeat, there is not a root
password, never been set, and man vi doesn't even tell you how to exit
visudo which I used to view the contents of sudoers. I have used vi/vim
but that was 20 years ago and I found many far more convenient editors
since.  So I guess another reboot to get rid of visudo is coming up.
Except that will interrupt a download ahh no it won't, the ddos is back
because an earlier reboot canceled all my iptabes rules. And semrush et
all is downloading my whole site again and again. usng up all my upload
bandwidth. I'll be back, when I have regained control of my website.

Thanks David

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis