Re: Difference between ipp, ipps, http, https CUPS protocols?

On 11/12/19 9:02 AM, Brian wrote:
On Mon 11 Nov 2019 at 10:18:26 -0600, Kent West wrote:
When adding a printer via the CUPS web interface (localhost:631) on my
Debian box, Administration / Add Printer / Other Network Printers,
there are
four Internet Printing Protocol options:

https

ipp

http

ipps

Which one do I want to select? What are the differences?
Essentially, use ipp unless you have a good reason not to.

^^^^^^^^^

This is the information I needed, which (IMO) should have been on the CUPS setup page.

Not quite. Both ipp and ipps do encryption. The difference is that ipp
does oportunistic encryption (using an http upgrade) whereas, with ipps,
encryption is always on (the encryption is immediate, using https). The
rationale for having a ipps URI is in RFC7472.

http is the transport protocol for ipp and ipps, and ipp and ipps URIs
are mapped to http and https URLs. Every modern printer would support
ipp; in addition, some could support ipps too. I believe the http and
https backends exist to facilitate connections with Windows machines,
which historically have lagged far behind in implementing ipp.

And this information helps, too.

Thanks!

--

Kent