Re: fail2ban for apache2

On Tuesday 12 November 2019 11:01:08 Lee wrote:

> On 11/11/19, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> > On Monday 11 November 2019 08:33:13 Greg Wooledge wrote:
>
>   ... snip ...
>
> >> I *know* I told you to look at your log files, and to turn on
> >> user-agent logging if necessary.
> >>
> >> I don't remember seeing you ever *post* your log files here, not
> >> even a single line from a single instance of this bot.  Maybe I
> >> missed it.
> >
> > Only one log file seems to have useful data, the "other..." file,
> > and I have posted several single lines here, but here's a  few more:
>
>    ... snip ...
>
> > [11/Nov/2019:12:11:39 -0500] "GET
> > /gene/nitros9/level1/coco1_6309/bootfiles/bootfile_covga_cocosdc
> > HTTP/1.1" 200 16133 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Daum/4.1;
> > +http://cs.daum.net/faq/15/4118.html?faqId=28966)"
> >
> > I did ask earlier if daum was a bot but no one answered.  They are
> > becoming a mite pesky.
>
> Google translate can be your friend:
> https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=ko&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2
>Fcs.daum.net%2Ffaq%2F15%2F4118.html
>
> Note they even tell you how to turn off collection:
> I want to automatically exclude documents from my site from web
> document search results.
> [robots.txt Exclusion using file]
> Please write the following in Notepad, and save it as robots.txt file
> to the root directory.

> Disallow: /
>
> Using * instead of DAUM can prevent web collection robots from
> collecting documents on all search services, not just Daum.
>
> So let's take a look at what you've got:
> $ curl http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/robots.txt
> # $Id: robots.txt 410967 2009-08-06 19:44:54Z oden $
> # $HeadURL:
> svn+ssh://svn.mandriva.com/svn/packages/cooker/apache-conf/current/SOU
>RCES/robots.txt $
> # exclude help system from robots

> Disallow: /

> Disallow: /

> Disallow: /manual/

> Disallow: /manual-2.2/

> Disallow: /addon-modules/
>
> User-0agent: *
> Disallow: /doc/

> Disallow: /images/
>
> # the next line is a spam bot trap, for grepping the logs. you should
> _really_ change this to something else...
> #Disallow: /all_our_e-mail_addresses
> # same idea here...

> Disallow: /admin/
>
> # but allow htdig to index our doc-tree
> # Disallow:

> Disallow: stress test

> Disallow: /
>
> User-agent *
> Disallow: /
>
> $
>
> You're missing a ':' - it should be
> Disallow: /
>
> and I don't think "User-0agent: *" is going to do what you want..
>
> Regards,
> Lee
it didn't. So I had been adding iptables rules but had to reboot this
morning to get a baseline cups start, only to find my iptables rules
were all gone and the bots are DDOSing me again. Grrrrrrr

So I have to find all that in the history and re-invent
a 33 line filter DROP. I'll be baqck when I've stuck a hot tater in
semrushes exit port.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis