Re: et.al., (was: Dependencies et al, was: Default Debian install harassed me)

Hi,

Brian wrote:
> Are you sure it is the From: and not the envelope From? My From: is
> not subscribed.

Interesting observation.
So the address by which you submit your mail to the remote server is
subscribed and it is not the "From:" address which your mail client
writes into the header part of the mail ?

I wonder whether my mail provider would allow me to send via SMTP
  MAIL FROM:<scdbackup@gmx.net>
  RCPT TO:debian-user@lists.debian.org
and then by DATA
  From: "Somebody Else" <totally@fake.com>

But how do Debian list servers know ?
Is it because Exim 4.89 said "MAIL FROM:<...subscribed.address...>" to
lists.debian.org ?
Or is it because the first mail hop added "envelope-from" to its Received:
header ?

          (envelope-from <...>)
          id 1iHRiB-0006S7-Ks
          for debian-user@lists.debian.org; Mon, 07 Oct 2019 13:01:59 +0100

(I wonder where "envelope-from" in "Received:" is specified. The word
 does neither appear in RFC5322 nor in RFC5321.)

> > Nevertheless, if i have no other indication then i normally add a "Cc:"
> > to the thread starter if i do not see LDOSUBSCRIBER among the spam tests.

> On the basis, one supposes, that the situation is unclear and you wish
> the poster to know there is a reply to her post.

It is futile to send Cc: to people who are known to reply to list messages.
But thread starters where i am in doubt get a Cc: from me if i have
something to tell them.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas