Re: et.al., (was: Dependencies et al, was: Default Debian install harassed me)

On Mon 07 Oct 2019 at 15:09:09 +0200, Thomas Schmitt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i wrote:
> > > To my best knowledge, "X-Spam-Status: ... tests=...,LDOSUBSCRIBER,..."
> > > says that the "From:" address of the mail is subscribed.
>
> Brian wrote:
> > Are you sure it is the From: and not the envelope From? My From: is
> > not subscribed.
>
> Interesting observation.
> So the address by which you submit your mail to the remote server is
> subscribed

No. My subscribed address does not appear in the mail headers and is
not used in the transaction between my mail server and bendel.debian.org.

>             and it is not the "From:" address which your mail client
> writes into the header part of the mail ?

Correct.

> I wonder whether my mail provider would allow me to send via SMTP
>   MAIL FROM:<scdbackup@gmx.net>
>   RCPT TO:debian-user@lists.debian.org
> and then by DATA
>   From: "Somebody Else" <totally@fake.com>

I do not see why not; it is part of DATA.

[...]

> > > Nevertheless, if i have no other indication then i normally add a "Cc:"
> > > to the thread starter if i do not see LDOSUBSCRIBER among the spam tests.
>
> > On the basis, one supposes, that the situation is unclear and you wish
> > the poster to know there is a reply to her post.
>
> It is futile to send Cc: to people who are known to reply to list messages.
> But thread starters where i am in doubt get a Cc: from me if i have
> something to tell them.

You are kinder than I am! I assume no LDOSUBSCRIBER means the user
is reading replies. Unfortunarely, there are some users who never
see any replies because they don't quite appreciate how mailing
lists work and anticipate receiving personal mails.

--
Brian.