Re: et.al., (was: Dependencies et al, was: Default Debian install harassed me)

On Mon 07 Oct 2019 at 15:09:09 (+0200), Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> i wrote:
> > > To my best knowledge, "X-Spam-Status: ... tests=...,LDOSUBSCRIBER,..."
> > > says that the "From:" address of the mail is subscribed.
>
> Brian wrote:
> > Are you sure it is the From: and not the envelope From? My From: is
> > not subscribed.
>
> Interesting observation.
> So the address by which you submit your mail to the remote server is
> subscribed and it is not the "From:" address which your mail client
> writes into the header part of the mail ?
>
> I wonder whether my mail provider would allow me to send via SMTP
>   MAIL FROM:<scdbackup@gmx.net>
>   RCPT TO:debian-user@lists.debian.org
> and then by DATA
>   From: "Somebody Else" <totally@fake.com>

It's fairly easy to find out by trying it out, only obviously in an
email to yourself, not the list. Perhaps not as easy as it was,
because unencrypted telnet has all but gone. And I've also found that
my ISP is more "impatient" and times out fairly quickly, so nowadays
I assemble the whole email in an emacs buffer and paste it into the
session all in one go. Here's an example, suitably mangled:

$ openssl s_client -starttls smtp -crlf -connect smtp.some.submission.host.tld:12345

That opens the session, and I only press Return when I've copied the
email itself into the paste buffer. Here's the email, and there's
a blank line after the header.

ehlo wren.corp
auth plain MyAuthenticationNameAndPasswordInBase64==
mail from:RealUsername@RealDomain.tld
rcpt to:<SomeUsername@WhereYouCanReadTheEmail.tld>
data