Re: Choice of VMs under i386 Stretch?

On 1/07/19 7:12 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
> What 32 bit VMs which DO NOT depend on non-FOSS components are available
> for 32-bit Debian?

<Owlett>
LEARN TO WRITE!!

A VM is a Virtual Machine. You appear not to be asking for a Virtual
Machine, but software to host a Virtual Machine!!!1!

If you ask the wrong question, you're not going to be happy with the answer!
</Owlett>

Please, Richard, remember people are trying to help, but
miscommunications are bound to happen. Nobody deliberately does that
(well, maybe a few do), so please assume that a misinterpretation is
probably a mistake, and _politely_ re-word your question to make it less
ambiguous. You might have to think for a bit to work out how it was
misinterpreted first.

I, like some others, use QEMU/KVM, managed by libvirt. virsh is the
command-line tool to manage VMs. virt-manager is the graphical tool,
which you will probably want if you're using graphical interfaces (X,
Wayland, even Windows) in the VM.

If you're going to use that, you probably want your CPU to support
hardware virtualisation. See here:
https://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Processor_support

Unfortunately, I don't think you'll find that support on 32-bit hardware.

If you're stuck on 32-bit hardware, you might like to try LXC - it's not
full virtualisation, but more like an enhanced chroot. I use that too
(but only on 64-bit hardware at the moment).

There are others, but I haven't used them much.

In order to easily provision disk space for either type, I would
recommend learning to use LVM, if you haven't already.

The VMs themselves, I create.

Richard (a different one)