Re: Document removal of ecryptfs-utils from Buster

On Sun, 2019-06-30 at 18:17 +0200, Sven Hartge wrote:
> Andrea Borgia <andrea@borgia.bo.it> wrote:
> > Il 30/06/19 11:52, Curt ha scritto:
> > > https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=928956
> > >
> > >   Due to #765854 ecryptfs-utils has been removed from Buster.
> > >   The kernel module (ecryptfs.ko) is still built but depending on
> > > the
> > >   upgrade path users will be unable to mount their encrypted home
> > >   directories (pam module, ecryptfs-mount-private missing).
> > >   So they should probably be strongly advised to not upgrade.
> > Should I count myself lucky that I have two systems running
> > "testing"
> > with also "stable" sources? Perhaps it's time to mark the package
> > as
> > "hold" :)
> > I'd be interested to know if there is an alternative: not so much
> > for
> > my desktop but my laptop really needs it. Thanks for the heads up,
> > though.
>
> You could compile ecryptfs-utils on Buster manually to get the
> dependencies right.
>
> Or keep stretch in sources.list but this will not work forever, as
> soon
> as Stretch gets archived it will break.
>
> Other than that: Reinstalling the system with full disk encryption or
> just copying the files from the ecryptfs and then removing it are the
> only real other options.

Or if you have (or can make) a new disk partition, use dm-crypt to
encrypt that and put the file system on that that people want encrypted
(for /home?).

Personally, for several releases I've used dm-crypt with LUKS for a
partiton containing everything apart from /boot. (Done using Debian
installer when creating a system).

--
Tixy