Re: Replacing nvidia card, with Amd - can no longer boot.

>Hello,
>
>Been beating my head against a wall. Had a fully functional and stable
>setup (9.x, stretch) with nvidia gtx 1060. Needed to swap out video card
>for an amd radeon rx 580. I knew it would be a problem, and sometimes I
>hate it when I am right :-(
>
>Now, i can't boot. I hang on a "amdgpuxxxxx" to EFI VGA message.
>
>I don't have onboard video to fall back on. I could put the nvidia card
>back in, and I assume my machine would boot again.
>
>But, are there any steps on how I can get the amd driver installed, so
>that my system boots again??
>--
>Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

There are several things that might get you in so you can figure it out.
It's probably either no firmware, no kernel support for that particular
card, or possibly something NoVidio driver installation did to the system.

I did a search for '"amdgpuxxxxx" to EFI VGA' phrase from your post and
didn't find anything.

After changing search terms slightly found this:
https://duckduckgo.com/html/?q=amdgpu+EFI+VGA

...led to this:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/370962/freeze-at-startup-with-error-fb-switching-to-radeondrmfb-from-efi-vga

You could try that solution (nomodeset), you could also try single user
mode, or boot from a live cd/usb and chroot to the bad system and make
changes, or maybe ssh into it if it is actually finishing booting.

Good Luck,
bw