Re: System on a chip - performance relative size and setup (how can the (Debian) setup make a difference?)

On 6/19/19 1:15 PM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

Quoting deloptes (2019-06-19 12:42:13)
Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

In short, you really _really_ want netinstall from MicroSD!
What about debootstrap? IS it possible to use it for that SoC?
Certainly.  Debian-installer uses debootstrap internally so that is a
must.  The images Erik has used until now - http://box.redpill.dk/ - are
also built with debootstrap (or rather the more flexible multistrap)
using the framework I referenced in my previous post:
https://salsa.debian.org/tinker-team/box

My point in above quote is which _medium_ you want to boot from
initially on a Teres-I: MicroSD rather than USB (not which method of
installation you want).

My work specifically explores how to avoid the tedious process of
running debian-installer on the relatively slow Teres-I but reach _same_
result as if doing so - because in my experience running debootstrap
directly can easily lead to a slightly broken system.

It is quite possible that my impression that the Ubuntu instance that Teres-I is shipped with is significantly faster than your redpills is just imaginary, but then Dan Ritter seemed to confirm that that "native Ubuntu" probably is 2x to 8x faster.

If "native Ubuntu" is faster than "SD redpill", then I wonder how the Olimex people got their Ubuntu installed in the first place? They couldn't have used the Debian Installer, could they?

Or, a better question, is it within reach to run a Debian Pure Blend on Teres-I without an external SD card? If so, is Dan Ritter right that it will be 2x to 8x faster?

//Erik