Re: Dual Boot Two Debian Versions

Le 10/06/2019 à 16:04, Stephen P. Molnar a écrit :

sda is a 500 GB SSD, currently the boot drive, running Stretch
(...)
I am planning on adding a 1 TB SSD to the system to be dedicated to Buster (currently Testing).

I know that if I select the new drive (for the purpose of this note, sdd) for Buster during the installation process from the iso DVD, that Buster will be installed on sdd and grub will show that as the boot drive.

Not necessarily. You can choose to install GRUB on any drive. But I would not recommend to install in any other drive than Buster's.

Will installing Buster on sdd do anything to make Stretch unbootable?

Yes, if you choose to install GRUB on Stretch's drive (sda).

Is there a way that I can add Buster to the Stretch Grub Boot Screen?

Of course. Just boot Stretch, make sure os-prober is installed and GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER is not set to "true" in /etc/default/grub, and run update-grub.

This method is easy but has the disadvantage that Stretch's GRUB menu is not automatically updated after Buster's kernel changes. Alternatively you can add a custom menu entry in Stretch's GRUB config to chainload Buster's GRUB or load Buster's GRUB config.