Re: Can any setting be changed after an "install Buster from scratch"-procedure?

Erik Josefsson:

> Can every setting made with an "install Buster from scratch"-procedure (like
> the one for [Teres-I DIY laptop] available at box.redpill.dk) be changed
> after the install procedure is completed?
>
> I mean, can some settings be "hard-coded" by an install procedure?
>
> Or in other words, which settings need to be set correctly during install?

I didn't bother to look up the howto you mention, but everything that
you decide during a Debian installation (however it is done) can be
changed afterwards.  Changing the partition layout can be quite tricky
(and might require another hard disk temporarily), but other that that
you will find most of the settings in /etc.

> This is my sequence of commands that brought me here:
>
> 1.Prepare image on SD card (done on another fully functional machine):
> 1.1.  wget http://box.redpill.dk/nonfree/nonfree-teres1-buster-1.0rc2.img.gz
> 1.2.  gunzip nonfree-teres1-buster-1.0rc2.img.gz
> 1.3.  sudo cp nonfree-teres1-buster-1.0rc2.img /dev/sda
> 2. Move SD card to Teres-I, connect ethernet-via-USB-cable, turn on machine
> and follow instructions on screen:
> 2.1.  sudo box-finalize
> 2.1.1.  Dialog
> 2.1.2.  high
> 2.1.2.  install language support - yes
> 2.1.2.  Select default language code (none to skip) - none

If you want Swedish, why not select it here?

> To me it now looks like I have a fully functional laptop, but as I wrote
> above, I need to tinker with it to get it to behave like it is a Swedish
> laptop.

sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales

Check sv_SE.UTF-8 (using the space bar) in addition to the already
selected locales, press Tab to highlight "Ok" and press Enter to
confirm.

For your user session I recommend
https://wiki.debian.org/ChangeLanguage. Do not change the whole system's
language. This would make it harder for you to search the web and debug
error messages.

J.
--
I can tell a Whopper™ from a BigMac™ and Coke™ from Pepsi™.
[Agree]   [Disagree]