Re: Replacing Pulseaudio with Alsa alone

On Wed, Jun 05, 2019 at 12:34:49PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> I hope I am believed when I say that firefox in unstable (67.0.1) has
> --enable-alsa in about:buildconfig. And sound works without pulseaudio.

As does firefox-esr 60.6.3esr-1 in buster, it seems.  I didn't know about
about:buildconfig before.  Handy.

I don't know the exact story, but I've heard pieces of it over the last
year or two.  Apparently at one point upstream decided not to support
direct ALSA any more, but they left the code in place, just not enabled
in the default compile-time configuration.  Debian's packages re-enabled
the option to turn on ALSA support.  I was also told that, at some later
point, upstream actually removed the ALSA code from their source tree,
or was planning to do so.  I don't know if Debian is patching the ALSA
code back in, or if the versions we have just haven't been neutered by
upstream yet.