Re: Replacing Pulseaudio with Alsa alone

On Wed, Jun 05, 2019 at 10:12:54AM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> If you don't care about those things -- or are in for some
> fiddling -- by all means, drop Pulse, and tell us others about
> it!

I never installed it to begin with.  And my primary browsing has been in
google-chrome-stable for quite some time now, mostly due to the fact that
at the time I switched over, Firefox's javascript performance was simply
too slow for the kinds of web games I was playing.  Firefox's unilateral
out-of-nowhere decision to stop supporting the vast majority of user
add-ons wasn't a plus, either.

When I do youtube stuff in google-chrome-stable, it just works, and I've
never had to mess with anything other than un-muting and raising the
volume through alsamixer.  At least not on my last couple systems.
(Before those, I had a system with on-board audio and a sound card, and
ALSA had to be beaten over the head to tell it which device to use.)

So, ALSA is definitely not perfection, but I've heard far more horror
stories from Pulse Audio users than from ALSA users.