Re: Replacing Pulseaudio with Alsa alone

Greg Wooledge wrote:

> As does firefox-esr 60.6.3esr-1 in buster, it seems.  I didn't know about
> about:buildconfig before.  Handy.
>
> I don't know the exact story, but I've heard pieces of it over the last
> year or two.  Apparently at one point upstream decided not to support
> direct ALSA any more, but they left the code in place, just not enabled
> in the default compile-time configuration.  Debian's packages re-enabled
> the option to turn on ALSA support.  I was also told that, at some later
> point, upstream actually removed the ALSA code from their source tree,
> or was planning to do so.  I don't know if Debian is patching the ALSA
> code back in, or if the versions we have just haven't been neutered by
> upstream yet.

I installed some time ago from mozilla.org version is 63.0.1 and there is no
alsa in the about:buildconfig. Actually neither alsa nor PA.

I have heard that after investing so much time in PA they decided to
obsolete it, but it has been adopted by so many applications that it is
hard to go back now.

I've been following PA recently (since v.8) and should admit that 12.2
(which is in buster - I think actually it is 12.4, but not sure anymore) is
the best version ever. I compiled debian packages at 12.2 for stretch and I
must admit all my use cases work.

regards