Re: apparent change in hostnames on LAN without admin intervention

On Lu, 16 dec 19, 10:14:55, David Wright wrote:
> On Mon 16 Dec 2019 at 12:03:58 (+0530), tv.debian@googlemail.com wrote:
> >
> > One of the PC is serving various services to the LAN, some bypassing
> > the router for load/performances reason,
>
> Fair enough. (I do that between hosts using IPv6 over Cat5, and have
> been scolded here for it.)
>
> > this PC is carrying an up to
> > date version of the hosts file.
>
> But does it need to? If your router runs a DNS server (you say it
> does), it can provide that (DNS) service to the PC that's providing
> the various other services.

Resolving hostnames via hosts file could be significantly faster than
using the router's DNS server.

> > It's not one hosts file on every
> > machines on the network, it's one hosts file with every machines on
> > the LAN registered in it on one of the node on the LAN.
>
> … which just means there are two machines needing the up-to-date hosts
> file: the server-PC that avoids disturbing the router, and the router
> running a DNS server. Still one more than necessary?

In the classic client-server topology the server doesn't need the
complete hosts file. Only the client(s) need(s) an entry for the server
in the(ir) hosts file[1].

Exception would be of course, if the service provided by the server
requires accessing other systems (backup server?).

[1] This is probably known by most debian-user subscribers, I'm just
making sure we are talking about the same thing.

Kind regards,
Andrei