Re: Broken PMTUD / ICMP blackhole?

On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 10:37:12PM -0500, Celejar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Debian Sid system with generally working networking. Recently,
> I experienced some strange connectivity problems with a particular
> network connection  [...]

> PING 1.1.1.1 (1.1.1.1) 1492(1520) bytes of data.
> ping: local error: message too long, mtu=1500

I don't know the error message by heart, but here, it seems
the message size is too big for your local MTU...

> With nnnn = 1472, I get, at least sometimes:
>
> >From 192.168.43.245 icmp_seq=2 Frag needed and DF set (mtu = 1472)

This is definitely an ICMP message you receive from some upstream

> followed by (for various values of nnnn):
>
> ping: local error: message too long, mtu=1472
>
> until I drop below 1444, at which point I once again get no reply,
> until nnnn <= 1412, at which point I once again get normal ping replies.

Someone upstream is dropping the packets, perhaps sending an ICMP
back (possibly "fragmentation needed"), perhaps someone else is
dropping that ICMP (your firewall, perhaps?)

> For comparison purposes, on a normal, properly behaving network
> connection, I get normal ping replies for nnnn <= 1472, and "message
> too long" for nnnn > 1472.
>
> Am I understanding this correctly, that there's some kind of PMTUD /
> ICMP blackhole problem here?

This would be my interpretation too.

> If so, what can I do about it? My
> understanding is that I can either set the MTU lower on the client, or
> do MSS clamping. Any suggestions? Is this something Mint / T-Mobile, or
> someone upstream, is just messing up?

Since you're not getting the ICMPs back, your only choice seems to be
to reduce your MTU, manually yes.

Cheers
-- t