Re: apparent change in hostnames on LAN without admin intervention

On Vi, 13 dec 19, 19:33:51, Jape Person wrote:
> Hi folks. Did I miss something?
>
> I've had 3 Sid/testing systems running on the same LAN behind the same
> router for just shy of 3 years. Their static IP addresses have always been
> issued by the DHCP server on the router. Everything has been copacetic among
> the systems, with local and outside name resolution working with no issue.
>
> A little over a week ago the systems stopped being able to access each other
> by name. No changes were made in the settings or firmware of the router or
> of the local network settings on the systems.
>
> I discovered that all of the hostnames had changed from xxxxxx.local to
> xxxxxx. I've tried to determine the cause of this alteration in the
> hostnames on the LAN.

Please provide more info on this, specifically where / how are the
hostnames configured and where / how did you discover they changed.

Do note that .local is typically used by mDNS and in my understanding it
should not be used with a DNS server.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.local

Kind regards,
Andrei