Re: USB Examiner Package? Special USB Kernel Modules?

On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 10:01:01PM +0100, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > That's extremely difficult to test: imagine the thing programmed to get
> > only active during full-moon and behave otherwise as a normal stick?
>
> A more exotic proposal:
> Become good friend with a veterinarian for small animals and use the
> X-ray machine.
>   https://www.minxray.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/custom.jpg

This would help with the "physical layer" thing: you'd probably be
able to discern a nasty capacitor bank, if you know what you're
looking for.

If you think you could also see modified firmware, I know of a few
people who would like to talk to you ;-D

> (I would propose a larger safety distance. The suspect is not supposed
>  to flee.)

Hm. *If* it flees, I'd advice to let it...

> I forwarded "[1]" already. Impressive device.

Indeed.

> I wonder whether there are already modified UPSes which serve as power
> surge filters for USB devices.

Nowadays I guess you could put together a credible surge protection
with the aid of those newfangled SiC MOSFETS they use in electrical
vehicles. They can take quite a punch.

As usual, veering off-topic...

> Have a nice day :)

Thanks, same to you :-)