Re: Booting Debian 10 installer ISO from USB

Le 23/11/2019 à 20:13, Brian a écrit :
On Sat 23 Nov 2019 at 11:00:58 -0600, prueba@finsakxim.com.mx wrote:

This
would explain why it works for you, as well as in other cases.

It seems to only work at maximum level 1 directories;

I already told you exactly this in my previous post :
"The quick scan only searches in top-level directories."

Thank you for the link. I had not seen this report before. One bit of it
is the statement:

  > From what I understand now, iso-scan is not meant to use
  > any iso filename supplied to it via grub command line, but
  > it rather prefers to scan the USB stick for usable images

This is what I understood from a quick look at the script.

  > itself, and then present the user with a menu.

Only with lower priority. With default priority, it automatically selects the first "usable" image found.

My understanding is that iso-scan/filename= simply says which ISO is to
be searched for.

How did you understand this ? It matches neither the script nor the experiences.

I put two Debian ISOs in /boot/iso and had a similar grub.cfg to yours:

   iso_path=/boot/iso/debian-10.2.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso
   export iso_path
   search --set=root --file "$iso_path"
   loopback loop "$iso_path"
   menuentry "Test" {
      linux /boot/vmlinuz  iso-scan/filename=$iso_path priority=low
      initrd /boot/initrd.gz
   }

I get a list of sixteen partitions and devices and choose the one that I
know holds the ISOs (/dev/sdg1).

This is the effect of priority=low.

This comes up with (as it did for you):

  > The quick scan for installer ISO images, which looks only
  > in common places....

But a full disk search immediately scans /dev/sdg1 and presents a choice
between the two ISOs.

Again the effect of priority=low.

So iso-scan seems to ignore the iso-scan/filename value provided in the command line. If I understood the script correctly, it does not read this parameter, it only writes the selected image pathname into it.