Re: Booting Debian 10 installer ISO from USB

On Wed 20 Nov 2019 at 13:36:20 -0600, prueba@finsakxim.com.mx wrote:

> El 2019-11-20 12:48, Brian escribió:
> > On Wed 20 Nov 2019 at 11:42:34 -0600, prueba@finsakxim.com.mx wrote:
> >
> > > So in the end no one being able to help booting Debian 10 with grub
> > > loopback?
> >
> > Using GRUB loopback isn't supported by the installer. The installer
> > images have initrds which do not contain iso-scan.
> >
> > > My grub.cfg and symptoms are back in first post of this thread.
> > > Cannot understand why Debian kernel/initrd are unable to find the
> > > ISO, even
> > > with hd-media...
> >
> > The hd-media have no trouble finding debian-10.2.0-i386-netinst.iso
> > for me. The wiki contains the advice:
> >
> >  > ... Ensure the image, vmlinuz and initrd.gz are the most
> >  > up-to-date possible.
>

> I already know and understand that CD installer's initrd doesn't have
> iso-scan.

Everybody else understands this too. That is why no one is able to help
with booting Debian 10 with GRUB's loopback.

> Which is why, as put in first post of this thread, I tried using hd-media
> vmlinuz and initrd, though with same CD installer ISO rather than the
> netinst.
>
> Last thing I read about the netinst is, just like live CD, they didn't
> suffer from the lack of iso-scan, so they could be used for grub loopback
> out of the box. Which is why I didn't try netinst yet. Correct me if wrong.

Open up a netinst ISO and look in /pool. Do you see iso-scan there?

> I got both hd-media vmlinuz and initrd just this week, from the link in
> first post, from the current "stable" tree. So they should be indeed
> updated.

The image you have? That's up-to-date?

> I already know one way around for installation would be booting Live CD and
> installing from within it. But feels slightly "unorthodox", and it's not the
> same as directly using the installer. Specially because I often use the
> "expert" install option.
> Also I often do offline installations (internet connection is not available
> beforehand), so netinst would not be useful for those cases.
>
> So, if someone could help with this CD installer and hd-media issue, I'd be
> very thankful.
> Or if the fact was that Buster installer no longer supports loopback at all
> even with hd-media, just confirm it.

No installer has ever supported loopback, with or without the assistance
of hd-media.

--
Brian.