Re: Booting Debian 10 installer ISO from USB

El 2019-11-20 12:48, Brian escribió:
On Wed 20 Nov 2019 at 11:42:34 -0600, prueba@finsakxim.com.mx wrote:

So in the end no one being able to help booting Debian 10 with grub
loopback?

Using GRUB loopback isn't supported by the installer. The installer
images have initrds which do not contain iso-scan.

My grub.cfg and symptoms are back in first post of this thread.
Cannot understand why Debian kernel/initrd are unable to find the ISO, even
with hd-media...

The hd-media have no trouble finding debian-10.2.0-i386-netinst.iso
for me. The wiki contains the advice:

 > ... Ensure the image, vmlinuz and initrd.gz are the most
 > up-to-date possible.

I already know and understand that CD installer's initrd doesn't have iso-scan. Which is why, as put in first post of this thread, I tried using hd-media vmlinuz and initrd, though with same CD installer ISO rather than the netinst.

Last thing I read about the netinst is, just like live CD, they didn't suffer from the lack of iso-scan, so they could be used for grub loopback out of the box. Which is why I didn't try netinst yet. Correct me if wrong.

I got both hd-media vmlinuz and initrd just this week, from the link in first post, from the current "stable" tree. So they should be indeed updated.

I already know one way around for installation would be booting Live CD and installing from within it. But feels slightly "unorthodox", and it's not the same as directly using the installer. Specially because I often use the "expert" install option. Also I often do offline installations (internet connection is not available beforehand), so netinst would not be useful for those cases.

So, if someone could help with this CD installer and hd-media issue, I'd be very thankful. Or if the fact was that Buster installer no longer supports loopback at all even with hd-media, just confirm it.

Thanks.