Re: Booting Debian 10 installer ISO from USB

On 11/20/19, prueba@finsakxim.com.mx <prueba@finsakxim.com.mx> wrote:
> On 2019-11-19 13:58, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
>      On Tue 19 Nov 2019 at 10:20:16 -0600, prueba@finsakxim.com.mx wrote:
>
>>>          I'm trying to boot Buster installer from a USB by using Grub's
>>> loopback
>>>          device.
>>>          I already installed grub in the USB and put Buster ISO in its
>>> data partition.
>>>
>>>          I read this
>>>
>>> https://wiki.debian.org/Installation+Archive+USBStick#Using_GRUB.27s_Loopback_Facility
>>>          so I downloaded both hd-media kernel and initrd from here
>>>

>>      The wiki page also warns:
>>
>>        > There is no guarantee that mixing an hd-media initrd with
>>        > an ISO's kernel will produce a desirable outcome in all
>>        > circumstances.
>>
>>      In other words, if the hack works for you - all well and good. If
>> not,
>>      you get to piece it together yourself.
>>
>>      Why is a loopback boot so important to you?
>

> If you re-read my post you realize that I first tried the "rightful" way
> of using both kernel and initrd from hd-media, and didn't work.
>
> Important because that would make it easier to make a multiboot USB with
> several Linux distributions by just copying ISO files instead of dd-ing
> multiple USBs or using 3rd party programs which modify the ISOs.
>
> Sorry, I really didn't know Debian community actually disliked this
> general idea (by little to no supporting and turning blind eye). Though
> I fail to see a good reason for it...

Free operating systems, their methodologies, and their supportive
documentation evolve based on the majority... based on the relevant
community's collective usage case needs over time.

Just because something doesn't appear to exist doesn't mean VOLUNTEER
Developers don't give a dang. It instead means that users needing a
more specifically individualized setup simply had not yet noticed that
missing [perk] and thus...

Had not yet stepped up to VOLUNTEER to develop the potentially
required software package, methodology, and/or any supportive
documentation necessary.

If this is something that already exists in another free operating
system, hey, cool beans, not to mention... well, there you go: A
ready-to-go foundation for a new package with morally responsible, if
not also likely requisite, head nods given to the original creators,
of course.

OF course...... :)

With respect to "disliking" something involving various operating
systems, there's almost a tone that might imply the community might
feel something like... oh, I don't know... being "threatened", maybe,
by the presence of other operating systems. Based on observing
Debian-User posts for some ten years or so now, nope, not here.

Here at Debian-User, there's occasional chatter about multiple
operating systems coexisting via virtual machines, multiple
interactive hard drive partitions, and such. Beyond those options
presenting scenarios for learning how to make ALL things Linux sing,
it can also be about the more primordial desire for, attraction to....

Variety, the spice of #Life, yada-yada. :)

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with... a healthy, helpfully diverse stack of OS CDs and DVDs *