Re: alternatives to gmail?

 Karen Lewellen writes:
> yet another reason to find another email provider...

[Ancient news elided]  Of course they read your mail (or rather their
software does).  They are an advertising agency.  Did you think that
they provided Gmail for free as a charity?

Newsguy ( https://acc.newsguy.com/cgi-bin/sub_newsguy_form ) has
provided me with excellent service for more than ten years. $10/month or
$80/year.  They support POP, IMAP, and SMTP using SSL if you so choose.
This means that you can read your mail using Mutt or similar.  They have
SPAM filters which you can disable. They don't enforce any sort of
format: they just forward outgoing mail and buffer incoming mail.  If
you are paranoid about having your incoming mail stored on their servers
install Fetchmail and configure it to fetch your mail periodically.

They have a Webmail interface which you are free to ignore: I do.  They
also carry all available Usenet groups and support NNTP.

Other companies offer similar services.

> ...not to be confused with a webmail program requiring an email server
> I do not have for a computer i do not own running a Linux distribution
> I cannot access.

Do you mean that you are not using Linux?
--
John Hasler
jhasler@newsguy.com