Re: alternatives to gmail?

Hi again,

On Tue, 19 Nov 2019, Mark Rousell wrote:

What these pieces of software do need is to be hosted somewhere. The
easiest and best way for that to be done is to be hosted by an ISP or
email service provider. In other words, you simply obtain the webmail
service from the service provider of your choice.

No., I have to obtaine email from a service provider who is already hosting their email with one of these options, configuring it to run without JavaScript, and publicly stating in their description of the email that it
 does as much.

Or, I simply try to use the service first, which is far more productive than my getting detailed specifics on the webmail software being used.

> ( For the avoidance of doubt, I also mentioned that it is possible to
host webmail software in your own web space or web hosting account. This
is a little more complicated but (a) it still does not require your own
email server, and (b) it can often be setup automatically by web hosting
control panel software like cPanel. Don't get hung up on this and don't
let it scare you. I mention it because it is potentially relevant, not
that you will necessarily have to do it. It should be seen as a fallback
in case you can't find an email service provider that hosts webmail that
does what you need. ).
It is not relevant, because it *is not* an option for me.
It does not scare me, it is *not how* I choose to manage my communications. This email, the one I am replacing, is for research. meaning I must be able to direct people, in public libraries for example, into my inbox. Best done on a gmail comparative platform, not where I am having stuff hosted privately or am hosting things privately. I did not mention these details, because there will be a provider who does what I need. I am well aware that one can find someone somewhere to host email on a hosting account. I have a perfectly useless one hosted via dreamhost via their webmail software, a choice over which I could not influence their decision...at all.

Even dreamhost staff could not duplicate the proper configuration of imap for an alpine setup hosted on their own platform. Knowing my limits means I am not about to try hosting or having someone else create a hosting structure.