Re: Good advice on Linux (debian) compatible microscope

On Sunday 27 October 2019 05:32:09 deloptes wrote:

> Bob Weber wrote:
> > If you aren't concerned about high quality then this might be of
> > interest.
> >
> > Jiusion 40 to 1000x Magnification Endoscope on amazon for about
> > $22.  Best of all it works on linux!  No drivers needed on Debian.
>
> No, please, I am interested in quality. I prefer paying a bit more
> than buying something made in China that probably does not work.
>
> 640x480 yuv422p is very low :(

Agreed, its essentially useless for what I want to do. Way too wide a
field of view. I need an endoscope sized camera with a long lens and a
very narrow F.O.V. for mounting on a milling machine head for a video
edge finder. For this app, it needs focusing, or at least mechanically
adjustable to something in the 50mm range as it must be mounted high
enough to clear fixture bolts holding down the work. Cameras which
encounter those bolts are destroyed like so much velveta cheese

We have software, capable of rotating our co-ordinate systems to make a
mounted part which may not be mounted in perfect x/y alignment into
perfection for the milling machine but it needs tlc, in that if the
image is expanded until the cameras image touches the edge of the
allocated window, the image goes away and the computer must be rebooted
to restore its function.  Since that occurs as the LinuxCNC "axis"
control window is expanded and before it reaches full screen, its a
right pain in the ass to try and use.

Does a review, with an eye toward this kind of use exist?

> But thank you for the tip as I found this one
> https://gadgets-reviews.com/review/785-best-usb-microscopes.html

These are nice, but these cameras are huge and unusable because of their
size.

> And the one is listed here ... so may be I buy it as it is very cheep
> and I buy also one classical ... need to read all that.
>
> regards

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis