Re: Good advice on Linux (debian) compatible microscope

On 10/26/19 5:55 PM, deloptes wrote:
Doug McGarrett wrote:

You haven't said what you're going to look at, but in my humble opinion,
if you only want to LOOK, not record, a binocular optical microscope
with a ring light and under slide illumination option is the way to go.
I don't know if a high magnification microscope like you're describing
is available with a zoom function, as lower gain units are, but if there
is a zoom function available, get it.
OK - thank you this sounds like a classical microscope

I am personally familiar with much lower gain instruments, for
inspecting and assembling electronic circuits using surface mount
devices. That kind of microscope would use about 7X to 20X zoom
magnification.
yes but modern electronics get smaller and smaller - factor of 10x is not
good.

If you want to record, there are optical microscopes with a "third eye"
where a camera can be installed, and the camera could be an electronic
camera with output to a computer.
this is also a good idea

When you know for sure what kind of scope you want, look to eBay or a
similar source--microscopes are quite expensive!

--doug, retired RF Engineer
One thing I would like to use it for is electronics and another thing is for
the children that are in school. So I wouldn't spend too much for
professional optics (lenses) that are indeed quite expensive, but I may
consider the other options you mentioned. I am also kind of reserved when
it comes to modern things. They usually sell you some crap made in china.

thanks

If you aren't concerned about high quality then this might be of interest.

Jiusion 40 to 1000x Magnification Endoscope on amazon for about $22.  Best of all it works on linux!  No drivers needed on Debian.

Also watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxUPCV3gbqw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIGdKyXBQ5M

to see how it works.

just use mpv:

mpv /dev/video0
Playing: /dev/video0
 (+) Video --vid=1 (rawvideo 640x480 25.000fps)
[autoconvert] Converting yuyv422 -> yuv422p
VO: [gpu] 640x480 yuv422p

the actual device may be different.  My system had video0 and video1.

--

...Bob