Re: Debian Installer, Manual Partitioning is a Joke

On 10/25/19 7:44 AM, Wayne Sallee wrote:

-------- Original Message --------
*Subject: *  Re: Debian Installer, Manual Partitioning is a Joke
*From: *     Wayne Sallee <Wayne@WayneSallee.com>
*To: *         Debian-user <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
*CC: *
*Date: *      2019-10-23  10:37 AM

-------- Original Message --------
*From: *     Christopher David Howie <me@chrishowie.com>
*To: *         Debian-user <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
*CC: *
*Date: *      2019-10-22  12:43 PM
On 10/13/19 6:56 PM, Wayne Sallee wrote:
The non-graphical needs work too:
There's no manual partitioning option without going first to guided
partitioning
This is patently false. Every Debian setup I have done in the last ten
years I've done with manual partitioning in the text-mode installer. The
option to do partitioning manually is among the guided options, you just
have to select it.

See the attached screenshot.

I went back through my cd images, and had a hard time finding it. Finally I found it.
Yes under normal circumstances the manual partitioning is there without having to select guided partitioning.

But when I was writing up my info on how difficult the partitioning can be, I ran into the situation where there was no option to select manual portioning without first selecting guided partitioning, and was surprised and disappointed to see that debian makes you select guided partitioning in order to find the manual partitioning option. But sure enough, under normal circumstances the manual partitioning is available without having to select guided partitioning.

So here it is. . . .

On any screen that has the "back" option, select back to go to the main menu, and you will get that long list of options. You will see there, "Detect disk", "Partition disk", "Install the system".

Select "Partition disk"

You will then see a number of options; one being guided partitioning, but no option for manual partition. You have to select guided partition, in order to get to the manual partition.

So what needs to be done on that screen, is the change the option name from "Guided partitioning" to something like "Partition options".

Wayne Sallee
Wayne@WayneSallee.com
http://www.WayneSallee.com

Actually what it needs is to put the manual partitioning options at the top, instead of (putting Guided partitioning at the top and defaulting the user to guided partitioning at the top) when the *user just got done selecting manual partitioning*. The manual partitioning options are unclearly buried at the bottom.
I believe this would be a "feature request"
contact the Debian Installer Team and ask politely

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Team

"unclear" is an opinion that I do not share

Wayne Sallee
Wayne@WayneSallee.com
http://www.WayneSallee.com