Re: Script does not do what it is told to do

On Fri 25 Oct 2019 at 03:45:45 (+0200), deloptes wrote:
> Ken Heard wrote:

> >> Try removing the single '-' at the beginning of the second line...
> >
> > In this instance it does not matter whether that '-' is there or not.
> >  Pulling that line out of the script and running it independently
> > works both with and without it.
> >

> In the original post I did not see any dash screenshot attached

- And would you blame that on Knode or gmane (I use neither)?

It's also noticeable that the said hyphen, which was at the beginning
of the line in the OP and was quoted as such in the first reply, had
migrated to the end of the line in the OP's reply. That's not
exactly helpful when discussing anything to do with tar, notorious
for problems caused by its commandline syntax.

Does any of the odd punctuation \
- in this post - get affected similarly when
lines are kept short?

Re the OP, there's a lot of information we aren't a party to;
for example, what are /media/fde and /media/ssda - we've only
been told what one of them isn't. It also wouldn't be difficult
to put set -x into the script, which would show what's being
executed as well as confirming that the correct script is
being run (because there are "several others like it") by
tarkbrowsers.

Cheers,
David.