Re: Buster: any graphical browser not depending on systemd?

On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 02:46:38PM +0200, Étienne Mollier wrote:

[...]

> Hi tomás,

Hi, Étienne

> After applying upgrades, while switching my Buster test machine
> to sysvinit-core, several things go away, but firefox-esr ain't
> one of those.  The machine was installed from Debian 10 ISO, so
> it may be a peculiarity with your upgrade from Debian Stretch.
>
> What kind of dependency resolution (attempt) do you get from
> your install command, if you try to keep the browser package,
> this way for instance:
>
> 	# apt install sysvinit-core firefox-esr

although funny (I do have sysvinit-core installed, and when just
issuing "apt install firefox-esr", apt wants to remove sysvinit-core
and install systemd), I gave it a whirl, and lo and behold... it
works!

(Before really installing I'll record both results of apt -s install,
with and without sysvinit-core added in...

Now to read more on apt pinning. Perhaps I've to give sysvinit-core
a higher prio.

Thanks Étienne, I'll report back.

Cheers
-- tomás