Re: Top 7 Programming Languages That Employers Really Want

Hi,

Doug McGarrett wrote:
> [...] and I learned to use BASIC.

And ? Any recognizable damage left ? :o)

> (This was in the days when we had
> an acoustic modem and a Teletype machine, and the mainframe was
> 1500 miles away!)

I had a color tv and a VIC-20 on the couch table.

> Later, I learned a "real" language, Pascal.

Arghh. Get hot water ! Get some disinfectant ! Get some iodine !

The only right way is to work down from a BASIC on ROM, which is said to
have in part been coded by William Henry Gates III himself, to a self-made
assembler, and then back to Rocky Mountain BASIC on HP desktops.
Finally you move to a Unix workstation (16 MHz and 4 MB of RAM suffice),
learn Bourne shell and C, and be done.

> As for as learning to code, the most important part of any coding
> language routine is to state a problem and define a means of solving
> it, step by step, before you write a word of code, regardless of the coding
> language!

That's what i did on my Texas Instruments TI-58C with its math assembler
language and merciless programming interface.
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TI-59_/_TI-58

But with a text editor i write a description in form of C structures
and function stubs, which i fill by remarks to roughly describe what
to have or to do where and when. Already during this design stage i use
as much compilable C code as possible to describe what i mean.
The overall design paradigm is object oriented but without fancy stuff
like overloading or inheritance. Encapsulation and aggregation must
suffice.
Then i go on an implementation frenzy.
Testing feels like hangover with debugger breakfast.

On larger projects be prepared for euphoria, nervous breakdown,
baseless hope, deep dispair, and - in case of survival - the feeling
to have once again muddled through.

Hoo-yawn ...
  goto bed;

Have a nice day :)