Re: Top 7 Programming Languages That Employers Really Want

Thomas writes:
> The only right way is to work down from a BASIC on ROM, which is said
> to have in part been coded by William Henry Gates III himself, to a
> self-made assembler, and then back to Rocky Mountain BASIC on HP
> desktops.  Finally you move to a Unix workstation (16 MHz and 4 MB of
> RAM suffice), learn Bourne shell and C, and be done.

I guess some people who started with BASIC do eventually recover.

FORTRAN on 1620s and 370s, C on MTS, Z80 assembler (hand assembled until
I finally got an assembler), Pascal on a PDP11, bare metal hex for the
RCA 1802, FORTH using an 1802 FORTH system I helped write (in hex), and
finally UNIX System III on my very own Onyx.  I eventually did do some
stuff in BASIC but by then my immunity was established so I don't think
there was any brain damage.  Perl and Python too after that, of course.
--
John Hasler
jhasler@newsguy.com